About Ciudad Fernandina Hotel in Vigan City
The house was built in 1758 by the spouses Don Francisco de la Encarnacion and Dona Rosa Anastacia, both Mestizos de Sangley of the Pariancillo de esta Ciudad de Vigan. The house was bequeathed to Don Florentino Encarnacion, born on March 14, 1776 and was married to Dona Josefina Lucia on February 6, 1797. When Don Florentino died on April 14, 1821, it was bequeathed to Don Gil Encarnacion, born on July 1, 1800 who became Gobernadorcillo of the Mestizo Section of Vigan, 1844. He married Dona Roberta Singson de Mesa on July 30, 1832. The couple was blessed with six children, two boys and four girls, all born in this house. They were: Petronila, married to Don Vicente Romero Syquia; Tranquilino, married to Anselma Foz Prudencio; Castor, who became a priest; Angela, mother of Don Honorato Encarnacion; Juliana, single, who became a wealthy woman of Vigan; and Benita, married to Don Agrifino Singson. The house was bequeathed to Srta. Juliana Encarnacion, a business-minded woman of Ciudad Fernandina de Vigan and who owned many rice fields in nearby towns. She adopted some children and treated them as her own. Later, she gave them their own properties. When Srta. Juliana died in July 9, 1919, the house was bequeathed to Dr. Ramon Encarnacion. In time, he bequeathed it to his son, Atty. Ramon Encarnacion, who later converted it into a hotel named Fernandina Hotel. (Source: The City Government of Vigan)
After acquiring the hotel in 2007, Dr. Benito Purugganan, Jr. and his wife, Yolanda Guerrero, restored it to a modern hotel, yet maintaining the classic characteristics of a Vigan ancestral house. The original structure was L-shaped, with the west wing added during restoration. It being within the Vigan Heritage Village, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, CFH has been restored in accordance with UNESCO guidelines to preserve its authenticity as a Vigan heritage house.